Airplay for Windows Media Center written 5 years ago
Listening to a friend at work bragging about his apple TV, I grew jealous of the AirPlay facility - one feature which my Windows Media Center setup couldn’t match. But lo, some googling later at home I find that today Thomas Pleasance has released AirPlay for Windows Media Center.
It’s everything you could dream it to be, working smoothly and allowing you at a drop of a hat to flick a video on the ipad over to the telly and start watching it on the big screen right away.
It’s so good I made a nerdy video. You’ll thank me it’s silent and you don’t have to listen my droning voice:
I can confirm it does work with Videos stored on the ipad, Youtube, and playing a video nicely interrupts whatever video (or not) is playing in Media Center.
There are some caveats though:
- Not all apps work properly with AirPlay:
- AirVideo, VEVO, seem to have the Airplay icon, but when you press the button an error message appears;
- Doesn’t work with iplayer, 4od. There’s no icon to enable AirPlay (not really AirPlay’s fault!).
- Playing music in the ipad app doesn’t seem to be supported which is a shame
- Slideshows seem a little slow, and images are sometimes corrupt.
This is a Beta version of the product, so hopefully the above will be fixed, but in comparison to the alternative made by some university somewhere it’s as polished as a shiny button.